The Public Safety Report is compiled from criminal complaints filed in state and federal courts, as well as some police blotter information, trooper dispatches, fire department reports and interviews with public safety officials. Individuals named as arrested and/or charged with crimes in this report are presumed innocent until proved guilty in a court of law.



• Kelsey Kelly Ulak, 31, of Fairbanks, was charged with fourth-degree assault Oct. 1 after Fairbanks police responded to a report of a woman chasing a man in the Holiday store parking lot on South Cushman Street. Investigation revealed Ulak hit the man in the hand with a large, decorative rock she picked up from in front of the store. The man shocked Ulak with a personal, handheld device. A witness in the store said Ulak had been chasing the man and yelling at him for most of the evening, according to charging documents.

• Heather Marina Rice, 44, of Fairbanks, was charged with fourth-degree assault Oct. 1 after a man flagged down Fairbanks police near South Cushman Street and 16th Avenue. The man said a woman hit him in the right leg with a board multiple times and punched him in the head and body multiple times. Police contacted the woman, later identified as Rice, across the street and took her into custody after a short struggle.


Multiple charges

• Darion Elishawahn Thomas, 30, of Fairbanks, was charged with third-degree theft, fourth-degree theft and fifth-degree drugs misconduct Sept. 30 for allegedly stealing three boxes of cologne from Walgreens before riding off on a bicycle. Alaska State Troopers contacted Thomas near Fred Meyer and found a box of Paris Hilton cologne worth $22, a box of No. 7 cologne worth $68, a box of Princess cologne worth $22 and a box of Fancy Love cologne worth $22, according to charging documents. A records check showed Thomas had three outstanding warrants for failing to report to jail.

• Eric Zane Sleeman, 29, of Fairbanks, was charged with felony driving under the influence, refusing to submit to a breath-alcohol test, fourth-degree assault, resisting arrest, disorderly conduct and two counts of violating conditions of release Sept. 30. According to charging documents, Alaska State Troopers responded to a disturbance on Ookpik Way and contacted Sleeman in a silver SUV. Sleeman smelled like alcohol, refused to identify himself, started walking into the woods and refused to keep his hands out of his pockets. Sleeman was taken to the ground and had to be stunned with a Taser, according to the charges. After he was handcuffed, Sleeman continued to struggle with troopers and went to the ground again after lunging toward one of them in an aggressive manner. A records check showed Sleeman had two prior DUI convictions within the last 10 years.