Less than 200 customers in greater Fairbanks remained without power Monday morning as Golden Valley Electric Association fixed downed power lines after heavy, wet snowfall.
Areas without power include parts of Salcha and neighborhoods east of Fairbanks along the Richardson Highway.
The weekend snowfall caused more than 4,000 customers to lose power Sunday across the Interior, including parts of Fairbanks, North Pole and Delta Junction. Crews worked overnight, and by 3 a.m. Monday, 1,600 remained without power.
“We are working to resolve all outages as quickly and as effectively as possible,” the utility said Monday morning. By noon, under 200 ratepayers were still without power.
GVEA makes the following recommendations for households that lose power.
• To report an outage, call the 24-hour hotline at 907-452-1151.
• Unplug televisions, personal computers and other electronic equipment. (If you have not done so already, consider installing surge protectors for sensitive devices to protect them in the future.)
• GVEA recommends turning off refrigerators and furnaces during a power outage.
• Once power is restored and stable, turn equipment back on.
• Turn on the porch light, so crews can see that power has been restored to your home.