Daniel Selovich arraignment

Daniel Lloyd Selovich, 37, of Manley Hot Springs, is arraigned in Fairbanks Superior Court on Tuesday, Nov. 24, 2015. Selovich is accused of physically and sexually abusing a woman while holding her captive in a remote cabin for five weeks.

Fairbanks District Attorney Joe Dallaire is taking another look at a previously dismissed case against a man accused of repeatedly raping and beating a woman while he held her captive in a remote Interior Alaska cabin for five weeks.

"I am in the process of reviewing the case now, which I hope to complete next week. I expect that more information will be forthcoming after a review is complete," Dallaire said in an email to the Daily News-Miner sent Friday afternoon.

Daniel Lloyd Selovich, who legally changed his name to Pirate in 2013, was charged with sexual assault, kidnapping and felony and misdemeanor assault in 2015 after the woman contacted a friend and asked for help. She was medically evacuated from a Manley Hot Springs area cabin and recovered from her injuries but died eight months later of unrelated causes.

The Fairbanks District Attorney's office dismissed the charges after the woman's death, and Pirate was extradited to Nevada on a no-bail warrant for sexual assault, first-degree kidnapping and battery to commit sexual assault with substantial bodily harm for allegedly attacking a woman in a Las Vegas hotel room in 2004.

Clark County, Nevada online court records show Pirate was convicted on one count of sexually motivated coercion after accepting a plea agreement on May 10, 2018. Pirate was ordered to serve a minimum of one year to a maximum of five years and given credit for 645 days of time already served. Court records also show assessed fees of $760 for a psycho-sexual evaluation and $4,328 for extradition fees. The records do not indicate whether Pirate paid those fees or when he was released from prison in Nevada.

News that Pirate had recently returned to Fairbanks elicited community condemnation after it began circulating on social media earlier this week.

Many online posts advocated violence, listed details about Pirate's activity on online dating and social media activity sites and gave updated reports on his latest known location. One man posted a video on Facebook in which he is seen talking to Pirate at what appears to be the downtown bus station. The man calmly and repeatedly tells Pirate to leave Fairbanks and the state, saying at one point, "You need to leave my people alone" as Pirate walks away carrying a large backpack and a bedroll. The man then appears to address others in the room, telling them to "Watch out" because Pirate has a record of sexual assaults.

A rumor that Pirate was sleeping in a truck in the Walmart parking lot prompted some to propose that concerned citizens meet there at 6 p.m. Thursday to convince him to leave Fairbanks. The rally did not happen, but unsubstantiated reports of Pirate's activities continue to proliferate on social media.

Online records show Pirate was charged in 2010 for raping a woman under a bridge in Redding, California in December 2004. He pleaded no contest to an assault count and was sentenced to four years in prison.

Pirate was convicted of fourth-degree assault in Washington state in 2009 and has arrests for vandalism, panhandling and disturbing the peace in Tennessee, Florida and Nebraska, respectively.

Online records show he has lived in the Missouri cities of Joplin, Springfield and Huntsville.

Pirate also goes by the name Raven or Raven Bushmaster on social media sites.

Contact staff writer Dorothy Chomicz at 459-7582. Follow her on Twitter: @FDNMcrime.