Interior Scrapbook

This photo looks downstream at the flooded Chena River in 1948. The Ernie Jessen White House still exists today. It is located on Front Street in Graehl adjacent to where the Wendell Street bridge would be built in 1952. Jessen published a weekly newspaper from 1942-1968 in Fairbanks. The We…

This 1964 photo was taken at the Felix Pedro Monument on the Steese Highway with some early day Fairbanks pioneers present: upper left, John Vukmir, Sigurd “Sig” Wold, Billy Simatakas, George Huber, Frank P. Young and Harry Kardanoff. Bottom left, Joe Kager and William Shaffer. 

This 1910 Fourth of July photo shows the city's Independence Day parade heading north on Cushman Street near Fourth Avenue. The Model M Steam car was owned by J.H. Patton, the owner of the Third Avenue Hotel in Fairbanks. 

This Alaska statehood celebration on the Chena river near the Cushman Street bridge included an attempt to turn the Chena River gold. The effort — with the use of a dye — turned the river green instead of gold. 

The date of this aerial Fairbanks picture with the Weeks Field airport in the foreground is told by the presence of four YB-10B bombers on the airfield. They arrived in 1934, led by Lt. Colonel “Hap” Arnold. 

This scene shows a devastating fire from May 23, 1906, which destroyed most of the Fairbanks business district. The fire consumed everything between Front Street and Third Avenue from Turner Street to Lacey Street. The fire destroyed two banks and the jail and courthouse. 

Looking south across the Chena River, this circa 1930s photo captures the river breakup. This was the site on the river where guessers constructed a tripod on the ice with a line attached to the bridge. The Chena Ice Classic was a annual event with people guessing when the ice would go out a…

This late 1920s photo shows the Chena River as the ice goes out during breakup. The photo was taken on First Avenue near Cowles Street looking upstream at downtown Fairbanks. 

This May 14, 1937, photo captures the ice going out on the Chena River and was taken from the south bank of the Chena next to the Cushman Street bridge. Immaculate Catholic Church and St. Joseph's hospital are definitely experiencing flooding conditions. 

This photo was taken in 1927 looking upstream on the Chena River with the Cushman Street bridge in the background. The ice breakup extended all the way to First Avenue. The Northern Commercial Company power plant stacks are visible in the picture. 

This undated photo dates back to the winter trail between Valdez and Fairbanks. These early travelers and especially the horses are probably looking forward to arriving at the next roadhouse on the trail after navigating Thompson Pass. 

This April 1931 aerial photo with Birch Hill in the background captures in the foreground the south bank of the Chena River and some Fairbanks landmarks. On the left is Clay Street Cemetery, in the middle is Independent Lumber Company, and at right is the U.S. Signal Corp wireless station. A…

Pioneer Women of Alaska ride on the Ed Orr stage coach during the 1940 Fairbanks Winter Carnival. This is one of the coaches that ran the route between Fairbanks and Chitina or Valdez in the early 1900s. 

Dog races in Fairbanks have a long tradition as indicated in this 1928 scene below the Cushman Street Bridge with many people in attendance. In this photo looking west, you can see the Samson Hardware building on the right. 

This 1946 photo captures Leonhard Seppala’s dog team nearing a mushing race finish line in Fairbanks. He is passing the Masonic Temple building on First Avenue, heading east toward Cushman Street. Seppala was famous for his use of Siberian sled dogs along with the 1925 serum run to Nome by d…

The 1946 Winter Carnival on the Chena River with the Immaculate Conception Catholic Church and St. Joseph’s Hospital in the background. A lot of the Winter Carnival activities occurred on the river, including the ice thrones and the dog races. 

This 1937 Fairbanks Winter Carnival scene captures that year's royalty on the ice throne. On the left is John “Jack” Buckley, the Pioneers of Alaska king regent, and on the right is Mary Miller, the Pioneers queen regent. In the middle is the queen and Miss Alaska from Nome, Marguerite Lee. 

This 1949 Winter Carnival parade scene took place downtown in front of the Lathrop Building and Lacey Street Theater. The float captures early stampeders going up Chilcoot Pass on the way to the Klondike gold rush. 

The 1937 Fairbanks High School basketball team included some players who would have an impact on Fairbanks. Top row, from left, is coach Ray Arno, John Harper, Charles Wehner, William Stroecker, Clyde Geraghty, Kenneth Ringstad and Bill Tewksbury. Bottom row, from left, is Harvey Marlin, Tom…

The Tanana Club was the opulent headquarters of the early day Fairbanks gentlemen’s club of the same name. It was exclusive in nature, being comprised of upper crust Fairbanks men. The Tanana Club started in 1906, and this photo looks to be from its original location on First and Barnette st…

The Barthel Brewery was located in the area of First Avenue and Clay Street close to where the Tanana Chiefs building sits today. It was built in 1906 by Herman Barthel, who was the owner of the brewery in Skagway before moving to the new mining camp of Fairbanks. The brewery was in operatio…

This winter scene between Fox and Olnes on the Elliott Highway is the ridge where the Tanana Valley Railroad traveled to reach its final destination at Chatanika. This area was the highest elevation on the trip and was subject to drifting snow. The narrow gauge started construction in 1905 a…

This downtown Fairbanks fire occurred in January 1946 and destroyed all the buildings between the Empress Theater on the left to the Lavery Building at the corner of Second and Cushman streets. Pioneers of Alaska Museum at Pioneer Park

A scene from the 1946 Winter Carnival. Some of the names are lost today. From left is unknown, Marian Barthell, King Regent Otto Neilsson, Carnival Queen Dorothy Hering Beistline, Queen Regent Genevieve Parker, unknown, and Mary Jane Peterson. 

This 1906 picture, taken between Second and First avenues on Cushman Street, brings alive the Christmas spirit. The original caption to the photo reads, "Santa Claus' third annual visit to Chisholm & Hall's Book Store, Fairbanks, Alaska, Dec. 25th, 1906." 

This late 1930s photo was taken on top of the federal building looking north in the spring of the year. The Chena River was where the city moved the snow to clear the city streets, and it is evident in the picture. The lower right of the picture is now occupied by the Marriott Hotel. Slaterv…

Anton Nordale, who was in the hotel business in Dawson City, Yukon, came to Cleary City and established a hotel in 1904. In 1908 the family moved to Fairbanks, where he built a hotel on First Avenue. It burned in 1923. Nordale then built a hotel on Second Avenue which is shown here. That hot…

This 1936 photo shows the Fairbanks Winter Carnival parade passing under the Cushman Street bridge with many spectators in attendance. The First Avenue business district is in the background. 

A.A. Bennett’s red swallow airplane is see in this 1927 photo taken at Weeks Field in Fairbanks. Mechanic Earl Borland is on the left and pilot Bennett is standing in front of the propeller. Borland was killed in the 1929 airplane crash that also took Ben Eielson’s life. Pioneers of Alaska M…

This Russian Junker airplane arrived at Weeks Field in Fairbanks on Jan. 29, 1930, piloted by Mavriki Slepnyov, who was traveling with his mechanic, Fabio Fahrig. The two men were involved in the search for the bodies of famed pilot Ben Eielson and mechanic Earl Borland, who were killed in a…

The Wien Airways hanger at Weeks Field is seen here after it was sold to Alaskan Airways, Inc. in August 1929. Ed Moore, a mechanic for Alaskan Airways, built the airplane weather vane on top of the hanger. 

This 1909 photo was taken near milepost 330 of the Richardson Highway, heading north to Fairbanks from Valdez. The mode of transportation from a double-ender sled and horse to a vehicle has changed, but the bluff next to the Tanana River looks the same today.

This early Fairbanks photo was taken on the north bank of the Chena River in the vicinity of the present Fairbanks North Star Borough building. It shows how small sternwheelers were removed from the river before freeze-up with the use of a capstan, which is a drum that rotates on a vertical …

This late 1920s-era photo shows the mouth of Noyes Slough when it was an impressive waterway. The swinging bridge spanned the mouth of the slough and served as a bridge for the residents of Grahel to walk to Fairbanks. 

This mid-1950s photo taken on North Turner Street captures the International Hotel which still stands today as the Big International Hotel & Bar. The Alaska Railroad engine No. 1 is located at the Railroad Museum at Pioneer Park, where it has been restored. The building that housed the W…

Harold Gillam’s Ireland amphibian airplane is seen here at Summit Lake in 1931. The flight’s destination was the Alaska Road Commission road camp at Summit Lake on the Richardson Highway. 

This photo shows two Richardson Highway Transportation Company vehicles in the late 1920s boarding the government-run ferry at Big Delta. The company formed by Robert Sheldon provided transportation between Fairbanks and Valdez. The ferry became a problem for Fairbanks when the government ra…

This early 1950s photo, taken at the intersection of Cowles Street and Airport Road, shows the then-recently completed Fairview Manor Apartments which were built in 1951. The apartments were home to a lot of Fairbanks residents. Denali School, which was completed in 1952, stands behind Fairv…

Fannie and Joe Quigley first arrived in the Kantishna Mining District in 1905. Ben Stewart Jr. took this picture while working on the McKinley Park Road into Kantishna in the 1930s.

Dave Cowee took this photo in June 1965 during construction of the Parks Highway. It shows the Alaska Railroad complex in Healy, which was pretty much the entire town of Healy in 1965. 

Howard Hughes takes a stroll near the tail of his Lockheed 14 Super Electra after landing in Fairbanks on his round-the-world flight on July 13, 1938. He gave away pingpong balls to Fairbanks residents which were stored in the wings for help with flotation in case he went down over the ocean. 

July 22 was the 118th anniversary of the discovery of gold in the Tanana Valley by Felix Pedro. It was also the day the Fairbanks Pioneer Museum presented the historic “Fairbanks Chair” to Mayor Jim Matherly. This chair was once owned by Charles W. Fairbanks, for whom the city is named. Fair…

This July 16, 1905, photo shows a massive log jam at the Turner Street bridge, which crossed the Chena River a few hundred feet downstream of the current Cushman Street bridge. The Turner Street bridge was frequently taken out by the Chena River's spring breakup. The north bank of the river …