Kevin Pease

Kevin Pease is seen in this News-Miner file photo.

Kevin Pease was sentenced to three days in jail Thursday after making a plea deal with the state for two separate 2018 cases.

Pease is one of four men known as the Fairbanks Four. The men spent nearly two decades incarcerated for the 1997 fatal beating of 15-year-old John Hartman on Barnette Street in Fairbanks.

In that case, Pease was released under the terms of a negotiated settlement with prosecutors in December 2015 following a monthlong hearing that re-examined the convictions of all four men and presented an alternative theory that Hartman was killed by a different group of then-teenagers in Fairbanks. The murder indictments of Pease and the other three men were dismissed.

Pease was charged with driving under the influence Aug. 31, 2018 for driving a three-wheeler from 5th Avenue to 25th Avenue. Pease admitted to drinking alcohol, failed field sobriety tests and registered a breath-alcohol content of 0.272, according to a criminal complaint in the case.

Pease failed to appear for a calendar call two months later and a warrant was issued for his arrest. Before he was apprehended on the warrant, he was charged with felony third-degree assault, felony third-degree criminal mischief and violating conditions of release Dec. 7, 2018. According to a criminal complaint in that case, a woman told Fairbanks police that Pease shattered her vehicle's windows with a baseball bat while she was parked outside his Clay Street home.

Pease pleaded guilty Thursday to the DUI charge and gave the woman a $1,600 restitution check at the hearing. In return, the district attorney's office dropped the charges in the other case.

Fairbanks Assistant District Attorney David Buettner said the state came to the resolution partly because there were "factual disputes" in the assault case.

Pease was sentenced to 45 days with 42 suspended. He will be placed on ankle monitoring to serve his three day sentence and will be on probation for one year. His license will be revoked for three months and he must have an ignition interlock device in his vehicle for six months.

Contact staff writer Dorothy Chomicz at 459-7582. Follow her on Twitter: @FDNMcrime.