FAIRBANKS—Fairbanks city Mayor John Eberhart plans a news conference Wednesday morning about the Fairbanks Four case.
A major settlement was reached last week in the contentious 18-year-old homicide case. Under the agreement, the four men previously convicted of killing Fairbanks teenager John Hartman were set free. A judge dismissed their convictions under conditions that included the men — Marvin Roberts, Kevin Pease, Eugene Vent and George Frese — agreeing not to sue the state or city governments or any people involved for their treatment during the police investigation and subsequent state prosecution.
“I feel it is important to provide the public with the actions the city of Fairbanks intends to take moving forward to help our community heal and ensure that we have best practice procedures in place," Eberhart said in a written statement announcing the news conference.
Fairbanks Police Chief Randall Aragon will also attend the conference.
Aragon, in interviews after the announcement of last week's deal, said the Hartman investigation is closed. Police are not investigating the five alternate suspects named in the lawsuit that freed Roberts, Pease, Vent and Frese because police did not consider the alternate theory of Hartman's death viable, he said.
The news conference is scheduled for 10 a.m. at the City Council chambers at Patrick B. Cole City.
Contact outdoors editor Sam Friedman at 459-7545. Follow him on Twitter: @FDNMoutdoors.