Some testifiers told the school board the class is overdue and that public education should reflect the diverse American experience.
After feedback from the business community, the council elected to keep the sales tax rate increase to 5.5% and amend the maximum tax on any single transaction to $11 instead.
"We don't know what happened. Things were going well. We were there yesterday doing business," Howard Thies said. "The restaurant was doing really well. But now it's pretty much toasted."
Denali Borough Mayor Clay Walker encouraged sixth-graders at Healy’s Tri-Valley School to participate in the essay contest by visiting their classroom and giving them a sense of his everyday job.
Latest National and World News
- In first big vote of Senate trial, Republicans kill Democratic effort to subpoena White House records
- View from the gallery: Senators struggle to sit in silence at Trump trial
- Watch out for falling iguanas! Weather service issues alert for southern Florida
- Trump rejects warnings of environmental crisis in speech at Davos
- Supreme Court puts off an election-year decision on Obamacare
- Senate trial of Trump begins with a clash over rules, witnesses
- SpaceX postpones next launch of its internet satellites due to 'extreme weather' at rocket recovery site
- Chinese coronavirus outbreak has reached the US, CDC says
- High-deductible plans jeopardize financial health of patients and rural hospitals
- Putin outlines sweeping new powers for State Council in shakeup