default avatar
Welcome to the site! Login or Signup below.
|
||
Logout|My Dashboard

Unattended candle likely cause of Juneau apartment fire

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Thursday, November 15, 2012 12:53 pm | Updated: 12:10 pm, Mon Jan 21, 2013.

JUNEAU, Alaska - An unattended candle is the likely cause of a fire that destroyed a large apartment building in downtown Juneau.

Fire Marshal Denel Jager says a tenant living on the fourth floor of the Gastineau Apartments left a candle unattended in a bedroom Nov. 5.

The Juneau Empire reports (http://is.gd/tKoIUB) the fire started on the floor and spread to a bed. The tenant returned to the apartment after being gone a short time and found the fire, which consumed the top floor of the building. Jager says the fire doesn't appear to be a case of arson.

About 50 residents have been displaced by the fire. Five people were treated for smoke inhalation and a firefighter suffered a concussion.

The building was condemned the next day.

© 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

More about

More about

Advertisement

Blue Loon - Papa Roach Live 2014 (Rev)

Blue Loon - Papa Roach Live 2014 (Revised)Fairbanks, AlaskaFriday, July 11...

Wes Madden 2014 Ad #2 Fairbanks

Description

Find Yourself

You're ready for something new. New challenges, new places, new adventures. E...

Madden Real Estate

http://www.fairbanksakhomesearch.com/?utm_source=NEWSPAPER&utm_campaign=N...

Stanley Nissan Service

Stanley Nissan service