The Alaska Departments of Health and Social Services and Environmental Conservation issued a joint notice on Wednesday to remind Alaskans that there are no safe months for eating recreationally harvested shellfish.
The notice was issued in response to an article in the December/January issue of Alaska Magazine, which the notice from the departments said contained incorrect information about eating recreationally harvested shellfish.
Shellfish can contain the toxins that cause paralytic shellfish poisoning any time of the year, the state notice says. It says the state has received reports of Alaskans with PSP during every month of the year.
The state notice says that early signs of paralytic shellfish poisoning often include tingling of the lips and tongue and that symptoms may progress to tingling of fingers and toes, then loss of control of arms and legs, followed by difficulty breathing. Death can result in as little as two hours, it says.