default avatar
Welcome to the site! Login or Signup below.
Logout|My Dashboard

State issues warning for eating shellfish

Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Monday, November 26, 2012 12:03 am | Updated: 12:07 pm, Mon Jan 21, 2013.

The Alaska Departments of Health and Social Services and Environmental Conservation issued a joint notice on Wednesday to remind Alaskans that there are no safe months for eating recreationally harvested shellfish.

The notice was issued in response to an article in the December/January issue of Alaska Magazine, which the notice from the departments said contained incorrect information about eating recreationally harvested shellfish.

Shellfish can contain the toxins that cause paralytic shellfish poisoning any time of the year, the state notice says. It says the state has received reports of Alaskans with PSP during every month of the year.

The state notice says that early signs of paralytic shellfish poisoning often include tingling of the lips and tongue and that symptoms may progress to tingling of fingers and toes, then loss of control of arms and legs, followed by difficulty breathing. Death can result in as little as two hours, it says.

More about

More about


Wes Madden 2014 Ad #2 Fairbanks


Gubernatorial candidate, Bill Walker, is concerned that the state is in a $7 ...

Blue Loon - Papa Roach Live 2014 (Rev)

Blue Loon - Papa Roach Live 2014 (Revised)Fairbanks, AlaskaFriday, July 11th ...

Bill Walker, candidate for governor, was born in Fairbanks before statehood. ...

Fairbanks born candidate for governor, Bill Walker asks, "Is Fairbanks better...