To the editor: It should come as a surprise to no one that Fort Wainwright has now become a COVID-19 “community spread” site. During every visit to Fred’s, Walmart, Home Depot, Lowe’s, etc. I see active-duty U.S. Army personnel in uniform walking around the stores without face coverings or making any apparent attempt to maintain social distancing. On more than one occasion I have asked in-uniform Army personnel why they are in close quarters without masks. Consistently, their responses have boiled down to, “According to my leadership, we are only required to wear masks on base.” If what they say is true, the U.S. Army needs to find new leadership for Fort Wainwright. The commanders making the disastrous decision to not proactively respond to a worldwide health calamity, a response that ought to include putting military enforcement personnel in high traffic off-base sites to ensure compliance, need to be demoted and reassigned.
The Daily News-Miner encourages residents to make themselves heard through the Opinion pages. Readers' letters and columns also appear online at newsminer.com. Contact the editor with questions at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 459-7574.
Send Community Perspective submissions by mail (P.O. Box 70710, Fairbanks AK 99707) or via email (email@example.com). Submissions must be 500 to 750 words. Columns are welcome on a wide range of issues and should be well-written and well-researched with attribution of sources. Include a full name, email address, daytime telephone number and headshot photograph suitable for publication (email jpg or tiff files at 150 dpi.) You may also schedule a photo to be taken at the News-Miner office. The News-Miner reserves the right to edit submissions or to reject those of poor quality or taste without consulting the writer.
Letters to the editor
Send letters to the editor by mail (P.O. Box 70710, Fairbanks AK 99707), by fax (907-452-7917) or via email (firstname.lastname@example.org). Writers are limited to one letter every two weeks (14 days.) All letters must contain no more than 350 words and include a full name (no abbreviation), daytime and evening phone numbers and physical address. (If no phone, then provide a mailing address or email address.) The Daily News-Miner reserves the right to edit or reject letters without consulting the writer.
- Travelers from outside Alaska will be charged $250 for an airport COVID-19 test, new policy outlines
- Eielson squadron commander dies after being struck by vehicle
- Anchorage virus death reported Saturday; 310 cases in the past two days
- Fred Meyer issues recall of onions
- Black bear walks into mobile home, smacks man around, exits through window in Juneau
- State links new death to COVID-19, reports 80 new cases
- Denali area sees torrential downpour
- State reports 66 new COVID cases among residents, nonresidents
- Residents of Anchorage Pioneers' Home among latest COVID-19 cases
- State reports 59 new cases of COVID-19, launches new website structure