To the editor: This is directed at those few legislators and other supporters who, without considering the consequences, continue to support the governor’s draconian vetoes. The governor’s “budget director” has admitted that there was no effort at all to assess the damage done by the multiple vetoes. Those few legislators and their supporters, along with the governor, will be famous for what they are doing to destroy the future of Alaska. For decades they will be remembered for:
• Destroying the social infrastructure of Alaska.
• Destroying high quality education in Alaska from pre-K through high school.
• Destroying the UA system, including UAF, which has been rated as one of the top 10 small research universities in the U.S.
• Dumbing down Alaska because the well-educated and well-trained will be first to leave, and the poorly supported education system will be unable to replace them.
• Eliminating support for folks least able to care for themselves, including children, seniors and retired military.
• Dramatically dropping property values because many families will leave the state.
• Raising local property taxes to pay for needed services no longer supported by the state.
• Closing down many small businesses and possibly some large ones.
• Ensuring that new businesses will not come to Alaska.
• Making it difficult to lure young doctors to Alaska.
• Not understanding the damage their actions have done.
They will undoubtedly have a few supporters, and perhaps a few who will forgive them for not understanding the consequences of their actions until the damage becomes more apparent, but mostly their names will go down in infamy as those who destroyed the future of Alaska. I hope they enjoy the damage they are doing to Alaska. Many of us are not.