The Public Safety Report is compiled from criminal complaints filed in state and federal courts, as well as some police blotter information, trooper dispatches, fire department reports and interviews with public safety officials. Individuals named as arrested and/or charged with crimes in this report are presumed innocent until proved guilty in a court of law.


• John Berry Moore, 48, of Fairbanks, was charged with fourth-degree assault Jan. 25 for allegedly threatening to beat up his brother at the Farmers Loop West transfer site.

• Nicholas William Sam, 30, of Northway, was charged with fourth-degree assault Jan. 25 for allegedly assaulting his girlfriend in Northway. According to charging documents, Sam punched the woman several times, tipped over a table and threw things around. The upper left area of the woman's face was red and bruised and she had a bruise on her forearm. Troopers located Sam the next day and he denied hitting the woman but admitted they "tussled" during an argument.

Criminal mischief

Orachel Ngoriakl, 30, of Fairbanks, was charged with felony third-degree criminal mischief Jan. 27 after Fairbanks police responded to a report of a "crazy lady screaming and breaking pipes" at the Alaska Motor Inn. Officers immediately noticed water pouring from the second floor of the building and went upstairs to find an open sprinkler head jetting large quantities of water into a hallway. Ngoriakl was soaked with water and told police "I did that, I was trying to get upstairs to my boyfriend ... I'm sorry," according to charging documents. The water collapsed parts of the ceiling, waterlogged extensive amounts of carpet and caused significant damage to multiple tenants personal belongings.


Alexandrea Avalon Hall, 24, of North Pole, was charged with driving under the influence Jan. 25 after Fairbanks police responded to a report of a Chevrolet Silverado stuck in a snowbank in front of Club Soda on Van Horn Road. Hall was sitting in the driver's seat with the engine running when police arrived, according to charging documents. Hall failed field sobriety tests and registered a breath-alcohol content of 0.278.

Multiple charges

• Nathan Samuel Morton, 38, of Fairbanks, was charged with two counts of fourth-degree assault, felony second-degree theft and violating conditions of release Jan. 24. According to charging documents, Morton grabbed his mother's neck and threw her cell phone in a snowbank. Morton also pushed his father, hit him in the throat and threw him to the floor when he tried to intervene. A records check showed Morton was on conditions of release for a September 2019 DUI charge.

• Timothy John McCardle, 26, of Fairbanks, was charged with two counts of felony third-degree assault and misdemeanor interfering with a domestic violence report Jan. 24 after Alaska State Troopers responded to a report of a man crawling on the Parks Highway and another man walking behind him. The caller described what both men were wearing and troopers found one of them, later identified as McCardle, standing outside Gold Hill Liquor. McCardle said his father was inside the store and was going to tell troopers he assaulted him but it wasn't true, according to charging documents. McCardle's father told troopers his son punched him in the head and face three or four times while they were walking to the store, threatened him with a machete several hours earlier and took his cell phone away. McCardle's father had swelling and redness on the left side of his face and an older bruise near his right eye. Staff at the store told troopers that McCardle's father comes into the store with fresh bruises on a regular basis. A records check showed an extensive history of domestic violence assaults between McCardle and his father, according to the charges.

• James Norberto Sievers, 43, of North Pole, was charged with felony first-degree promoting contraband, fifth-degree weapons misconduct and fifth-degree drugs misconduct Jan. 4. According to charging documents, Alaska State Troopers responded to a report that a white Chevrolet pickup truck possibly involved with a theft was heading northbound on the Richardson Highway from mile 314. Troopers found the truck parked at a pullout and spoke to the Sievers and the driver. When asked if they had any weapons, Sievers said they did not. Troopers searched Sievers and found a loaded Taurus .38 caliber revolver in his pocket. Sievers was arrested and remanded to Fairbanks Correctional Center. Corrections officers there found 1.2 grams of methamphetamine in the pocket of Sievers bib overalls, according to the charges.

• Harold Charles Brainerd, 49, of Fairbanks, was charged with driving under the influence and first-degree endangering the welfare of a child Jan. 25 after Alaska State Troopers responded to several reports of a vehicle off the road in the opposing lane and a young girl yelling. University of Alaska Fairbanks police were on scene when troopers arrived and advised that a bottle of alcohol that had been on the floorboard fell to the ground as Brainerd was being helped from the vehicle. Brainerd's 8-year-old daughter told troopers her dad had seemed sleepy while driving, according to charging documents. Brainerd seemed confused and was unable to remember where he was driving from. Brainerd admitted to drinking two shots of liquor and a beer several hours before driving, and when asked how big his last drink was, he said it "pretty substantial" and "as hardcore as it could be." Brainerd rated his degree of intoxication as an eight on a scale of one to 10. Brainerd was unable to walk under his own power or lift his feet off the ground. He declined to perform field sobriety tests and was arrested. Brainerd registered a breath-alcohol content of 0.284.

• Levi Sterling Dewilde, 37, of Fairbanks, was charged with fourth-degree assault and failure to stop at the direction of a peace officer Jan. 25 after his sister appeared at the Alaska State Trooper post in Fairbanks to report an assault. The woman told troopers Dewilde pulled her out of a vehicle, punched her about eight times and hooked his fingers inside her cheek after she took his handgun from him. Dewilde refused to come out of his house and spoke to responding troopers through an open window, according to charging documents. Dewilde left his house and drove away while troopers were applying for a search warrant. A trooper attempted a traffic stop but Dewilde kept driving for approximately 2 1/2 miles before stopping. Dewilde told troopers he didn't stop because he didn't want to get arrested and have his car towed, according to the charges.