Daniel Selovich arraignment

Daniel Lloyd Selovich, 37, of Manley Hot Springs, is arraigned in Fairbanks Superior Court on Tuesday, Nov. 24, 2015. Selovich is accused of physically and sexually abusing a woman while holding her captive in a remote cabin for five weeks.

The return to Fairbanks of a man previously charged with sexually and physically assaulting a woman while holding her captive at a remote Interior Alaska cabin for five weeks has caused an uproar on local social media.

Daniel Selovich, aka Pirate, was charged with sexual assault, kidnapping and felony and misdemeanor assault after his alleged victim contacted a friend via Facebook on Nov. 7, 2015 and asked for help. Alaska State Troopers and a helicopter from the Fort Wainwright military medical group responded to the Manley Hot Springs area cabin and medically evacuated the woman.

The charges against Selovich, who legally changed his name to Pirate in 2013, were dropped after the woman died of a drug overdose July 21, 2016. Pirate was extradited to Las Vegas on a no-bail warrant for sexual assault, first-degree kidnapping and battery charges for a 2004 case there.

According to a July 17, 2018 article in the Las Vegas Review-Journal, Pirate allegedly beat and raped a mentally and physically disabled woman in a downtown Las Vegas hotel room. The article states that Pirate reached a plea deal and was sentenced to five years in prison in May 2017 and that his victim died several days later after being hit by a vehicle in California.

However, when reached for comment Tuesday, a staff member at the Clark County, Nevada district attorney's office said Pirate's case was dismissed on Feb. 2, 2017. Efforts to contact the prosecutor who handled the Nevada case were unsuccessful Tuesday and it is unclear how much, if any, prison time Pirate served there.

Social media posts about Pirate's return to Fairbanks began Monday evening and intensified Tuesday. A post made on the Goldstream Community Facebook page Tuesday garnered 44 reactions and 36 comments, several of which directly threatened physical violence against Pirate. The post showed a photo of Pirate wearing a green T-shirt and holding a touchscreen tablet, with a caption reading "Everyone beware, Pirate is in Fairbanks."

The same post received 441 comments and 48 shares after it was shared on the Fairbanks, Alaska Facebook page Tuesday afternoon. Several commenters repeated rumors that Pirate is thought to be living near the University of Alaska Fairbanks campus and spending time at a Geist Road-area restaurant. One commenter wrote, "Who wants to go with me and make sure he leaves town and never comes back to Fairbanks or Alaska ever again?" Another stated, "No jail time in the world cures such an evil heart, only a good old fashioned public torture and hanging."

Multiple people commented that there are two other men living in the Fairbanks area who have full facial tattoos that resemble Pirate's. The posts cautioned people not to mistake those men for Pirate.

UAF spokeswoman Marmian Grimes said campus police were aware of the situation.

"The police department is aware of the individual's presence in the Fairbanks area. The UAF police are recommending that if anyone sees him on campus that they not approach him and that they contact the UAF police department. As far as we know he hasn't been seen on campus," Grimes said.

Some of the social media posts questioned whether the 2015 case against Pirate could be reopened. Fairbanks District Attorney Joe Dallaire, who ascended to his position after former District attorney Greggory Olson retired in April of this year, said he was aware of the furor on social media but needed to collect more information before issuing an opinion.

“I would need to independently review the case and speak to the former prosecutor before we would come to a determination," Dallaire said.

Contact staff writer Dorothy Chomicz at 459-7582. Follow her on Twitter: @FDNMcrime.