Daniel Selovich arraignment

Daniel Lloyd Selovich, 37, of Manley Hot Springs, is arraigned in Fairbanks Superior Court on Tuesday, Nov. 24, 2015. Selovich is accused of physically and sexually abusing a woman while holding her captive in a remote cabin for five weeks.

FAIRBANKS — A man who allegedly physically and sexually abused a woman while holding her hostage at a Manley Hot Springs cabin for five weeks was arraigned Tuesday in Fairbanks Superior Court.

Daniel Lloyd Selovich, 37, of Manley Hot Springs, is charged with four counts of first-degree sexual assault, two counts of kidnapping and one count each of first-degree, second-degree and third-degree assault, all felonies. 

The alleged victim told Alaska State Troopers that Selovich — who goes by the name “Pirate” — took her to his property about 16 miles south of Manley Hot Springs on Oct. 1 and held her there against her will while raping her two to six time per day. The woman was evacuated by a military helicopter on Nov. 8 after she messaged a friend on Facebook and requested she send help.   

The woman was flown to Fairbanks Memorial Hospital, where she told troopers about the abuse. The woman told trooper Matthew Iverson that Selovich first raped her in a U-Haul trailer several hours after she arrived in Fairbanks on Sept. 26. Selovich then took her to a hotel, where they had consensual sex for several days, according to the woman. 

The woman alleges that while at Selovich’s cabin he kept her duct taped to him or kept her tied to a roof beam with a rope around her neck. The woman further alleged Selovich kicked her, bit her, and beat her with his fists, belts and a flashlight. 

At Selovich’s arraignment his public defender, Jonathan Biderman, entered a not-guilty plea and requested a jury trial. Biderman also requested Selovich’s identifying information be changed.

“The information I have is that Mr. Selovich legally changed his name back in September of 2013 to Pirate, no first name,” Biderman said. 

Superior Court Judge Bethany Harbison said Selovich’s name will remain as is until a records check can confirm the name change.

The alleged victim listened to the hearing telephonically but did not make any statements. Selovich at one point addressed her by name, told her “thank you” and called her “baby.” 

Selovich’s next court appearance is scheduled for Jan. 7. His trial is scheduled for the week of Jan. 25 in Nenana. 

Charging documents list Selovich’s residence as Manley Hot Springs. Community residents told the News-Miner that Selovich is not a resident. 

Contact staff writer Dorothy Chomicz at 459-7582. Follow her on Twitter: @FDNMcrime.