March 20, 2004 — Golden Valley Electric Association has offered

$70 million to purchase the Healy Clean Coal Plat.

GVEA made the offer Friday morning to the Alaska Industrial Development Export Authority, the plant’s owner, said Steve Haagenson, GVEA’s president.

“It’s a good offer, a fair offer, good for the state, good for members,” Haagenson said.

The utility will pay AIDEA a fixed amount per kilowatt-hour over a 40-year period once the plant is operational. 

The cost will not be borne by ratepayers through an increase in electricity costs, Haagenson said.



March 20, 1989 — Gallons of milk in jugs that are stacked into more than 20 plastic boxes, will have to be dumped. The milk has gone bad because it couldn’t be stored adequately and distributed fast enough, said Food Bank Assistant Manager Debbie Kissinger.

“We have to give it to somebody who’s got pigs,” she said.

Although “we don’t want to waste anything,” sometimes there is no choice. 

Since the Food Bank moved to its new location on Gaffney Road on March 1, it has been without a freezer.

Although a company supplied a freezer van, Kissinger said she doesn’t have enough vehicles and volunteers to move the food back and forth. “It’s difficult to get stuff out of the freezer van,” she said.



March 20, 1964 — JUNEAU — The Senate completed legislative action today on a bill, HB297, which would permit the sale of intoxicating beverages in political subdivisions during elections confined to the political subdivision.

Such sales would be permitted through an ordinance passed by the governing body of the governmental unit involved. Liquor sales during statewide elections would still be prohibited.

The Senate also approved a measure, SCHB336, which would give the State Parole Board authority to set actual sentences for persons convicted of felonies, within minimum and maximum limits set by the trial judge.



March 20, 1939 — Little Jean Waxberg, for the first time in her life, is walking without a limp. Her feet, lame from birth, have been completely reformed to normal use.

The girl left Fairbanks last November for Portland, Ore., to receive treatment in the Shrine hospital there for congenital club feet. 

Her entrance into the institution was arranged by Clarence J. Woofter, then president of the Fairbanks Shrine Club.