With the weather growing colder, firefighters would like people to remember to check on their wood stoves and boiler maintenance.

Fire Chief Steve Crouch cited a minor house fire that North Star Fire Volunteer Fire Department responded to this week on Nordale Road, near Ravenbell Street in North Pole.

“The fire started because they started a fire in their wood stove, and it was the first one they started this year,” Crouch said, adding that the stove had not been properly prepared for winter.

No one was injured in the fire, which took place Tuesday, and the damage was minor. But Crouch said residents should have their wood stoves and boilers cleaned and inspected in preparation for winter.

Contact the newsroom at 459-7572.

Locations