The public is invited to participate in a Board of Forestry teleconference from 8 a.m. to 2:45 p.m. Wednesday to discuss statewide forestry issues.
The meeting will be held at the Division of Forestry’s Coastal Region Office, at 101 Airport Road in Palmer. It will also be available by teleconference at three locations — including Fairbanks, at DNR’s large conference room at 3700 Airport Way.
The nine-member board advises the commissioner of the Department of Natural Resources on forestry regulations and makes recommendations to the governor and Legislature on research needs. It also provides a forum for the public to discuss and seek resolution to issues concerning Alaska’s forest resources. Public comment is scheduled for 10 a.m.
Topics on the agenda for the meeting include:
• Annual resource agency and Board of Forestry reports on the effectiveness of the federal Forest Resources and Practices Act.
• Forestry and forest practices budgets for the 2020 fiscal year, which started July 1.
• Education campaign on new wildland fire prevention laws.
• Coastal forest management issues, including reports on Tongass Roadless Rule litigation, the Mental Health Trust land exchange, timber sales under the state-federal Good Neighbor Agreement, and salvage harvest potential of beetle-killed spruce in the Matanuska-Susitna Borough.
• Statewide forest management issues, including reports on Division of Forestry timber sales and Forest Resources and Practices Act implementation.
• Presentations on a blowdown prediction/reduction modeling and a trails/outdoor recreation initiative.
Other teleconference call-in locations will be available in Juneau, at DNR’s fourth floor Conference Room A at 400 Willoughby Ave., and in Anchorage, at DNR’s offices at 550 W. Seventh Ave., Suite 1450.
Those outside of Anchorage, Fairbanks or Juneau seeking to participate in the teleconference should contact Alison Arians at the Division of Forestry in Anchorage at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 907-269-8467 no later than noon on Monday. If no one is present at one of the remote sites by 9 a.m. Wednesday, the teleconference at that site may be canceled.
The full agenda can be found at bit.ly/2Za9kst.
Contact staff writer Alistair Gardiner at 459-7575. Follow him on Twitter: @FDNMoutdoors.