FAIRBANKS - A 15-year-old Fairbanks boy was killed early Wednesday morning in an apparent accident at his home.
Alaska State Troopers were notified that Joseph Hines had been found dead by a family member at about 1 a.m. The death isn’t considered suspicious.
AST spokeswoman Beth Ipsen said it appears the teen was reaching for an object behind a dryer at his Lakeview Terrace residence when the accident took place. Troopers believe he may have been electrocuted by an unprotected power source or died from asphyxiation due to the position of his body, Ipsen said.
Hines’ body has been sent to the state medical examiner’s office to determine a cause of death.
Fairbanks North Star Borough School District spokesman Bill Bailey said he couldn’t release the teen’s name, but confirmed the accident victim was a student at Lathrop High School.
Bailey said school staff was informed of the student’s death before school, and told students near the end of their first class. Members of the LHS Building Crisis Team worked with counselors and staff members to help mourning students, he said, and a note was sent to parents to offer advice in discussing the death.
Contact staff writer Jeff Richardson at 459-7518.