FAIRBANKS — Fire destroyed a shed holding gardening materials Thursday afternoon near Arctic Bowl in downtown Fairbanks.
The fire produced muffled explosions firefighters believe were caused by a gas can and the sound of the fire getting oxygen through a hole, according to a news release from the Fairbanks City Fire Department.
The fire was reported at 12:50 p.m. at 960 Vagabond Road, off 10th Avenue. The renter of the home saw smoke coming from the shed and reported it. Firefighters arrived and found the roof and the inside of the shed already consumed. Radiant heat from the shed fire also damaged the exterior wall of the house.
The shed was valued at an estimated $5,000. It contained outdoor items worth about $1,500, including garden equipment, lawn mowers, a gas can, some rubber tires and children’s toys. The renters did not have rental insurance.
No one was hurt or displaced by the fire.
Contact the newsroom at 459-7572.