Saturday is National Trails Day.
Eric Troyer’s Interior Trials Newsletter compiled a list of hiking and volunteer trail work events for the occasion. Except where noted, all events take place on Saturday.
• Join the Interior Alaska Land Trust from 9:50 a.m. to 5 p.m. in helping to build a new pedestrian trail in the, also new, Chinook Conservation Park alongside Chena Pump Road. Meet at Justa Store at 9:50 a.m., and begin walking together to the work site at 10 a.m. RSVP required. Email email@example.com for more information.
• Come join the Hike It Baby! group (parents and young children) and explore the simple Skarland Trail on the University of Alaska Fairbanks Campus. Parking is at the Large Animal Research Station. Stick around and join us for the LARS Birthday Bash and see their new calves. Meet at the LARS parking lot just before 11am. RSVP required (hikeitbaby.com/find-a-hike). Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
• Alaska Endurance Trail Run, a 6-, 12- and 24-hour trail run/race held on the UAF West Ridge Trails, starting at 8 p.m. today. The registration deadline has passed, but more volunteers are needed. Visit alaskaendurancetrailrun.org for more information.
• On June 2, join a trail work party starting at 1 p.m. to help improve the Ester Dome/Happy Valley Singletrack trails. Be sure to dress for the weather and wear appropriate shoes. Bring a drink, gloves and eye protection. Try to get there a little before 1 p.m. so you can get a tool before the truck is locked up. Meet at 1.6 Mile Ester Dome Road. Sponsored by Alaska Trails, Fairbanks Cycle Club, Goldstream Sports and Recreational Equipment Inc. For more information, call Geoff Orth at 479-0049.
Denali National Park and Preserve
• Help a National Park Service trail crew do trail maintenance on the park’s trail system; 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.; RSVP required. For more information, call (907) 683-9504.
• Hike up Donnelly Dome with the Delta Junction Trails Association starting at 10 a.m. Bring along water, a snack and an extra layer in case it is windy up top. Wear sturdy shoes or boots and don’t forget your Recreation Access Permit.
This hike requires everyone over the age of 16 to have a RAP from the Army. RAPs are available at https://usartrak.isportsman.net. Check in to the Donnelly East area 531 via the website or phone by calling (907) 873-3181. By accessing the system you will know if the area is open for recreation or if it has temporarily been closed for military training. If closed for training, the backup location is to meet at the pull out to Coal Mine Road and hike there. For more information, email email@example.com.