The northern island and the rest of the Arctic aren’t just hotter due to global warming. As melting ice opens shipping lanes and reveals incredible riches, the region is seen as a new geopolitical and economic asset, with the U.S., Russia, China and others wanting in.
- Here it comes: Snow advisory issued for eastern Interior Alaska
- Dunleavy keeps majority of budget vetoes, agrees to $1,600 PFD
- Alaska wildfire season continues with new fires, hot weather
- Tunnel wall collapses at major gold mine near Delta Junction
- Fairbanks woman charged in brother's stabbing
- Fairbanks-based Stryker Brigade begins deployment to Iraq
- Troopers investigate after 3 people shot at Fairbanks party
- A Cantwell legend worth retelling
- Debris piling up in swollen Chena River
- UPDATED: Dunleavy axes Alaska Railroad chairman who backs recall effort
Newsletter Sign up
Success! An email has been sent to with a link to confirm list signup.
Error! There was an error processing your request.